Tuesday, May 23, 2006

First week in Tanzania

My first week in Tanzania was fantastic; wonderful and relaxing. I started in Dar-es-salaam, where I visited Cille and Thomas. It was great seeing them again and I enjoyed some relaxing days in their lovely house. After having looked at bit at Dar I went to Zanzibar just a few hours by boat from Dar. Once again the main purpose was to relax….a holiday activity I greatly appreciate….so all my time on the island was used in Stonetown just walking around looking at old historical buildings.

Stonetown is one big maze of tiny alleys not more than a few meters wide. The streets are winding and the perfect place to lose oneself. As some of you might know I haven’t got the faintest idea of where north or south is, so the probability of me getting lost was rather big. For exactly that reason I had planned an entire afternoon just to get lost and was actually looking forward to the experience, since I had all the time in the world. But the world just doesn’t work that way; after only 15 min. in the maze I was back on the main street….totally against my will!!! And naturally, when I later that afternoon wanted to leave the maze to see the sunset it was completely impossible for me to find my way out. Luckily the friendly locals helped me and I made it in time for the mandatory sunset beer at the African house rooftop.

After a few days I went back to Dar. Cille and Vibe took me to South Beach for a fantastic day on the beach – contrary to everything that is Danish I managed to avoid total sunburn (mostly because it was too hot to be in the sun).

As written it was great to see Cille and Thomas again and at the same time get an insight into the expat life of Dar-es-salaam. I am sure that it is something I will longingly think back on once or twice during my two years in a small town in the western Nepal….
Now my journey continues north to the safari land of Tanzania….so guess I have to write: “to be continued…..”

No comments: